Wednesday, November 14, 2007

2004 Generations of Sonoma Winery Highway 12 Serres Ranch

COLOR: 5/5 - Dark ruby red colored right to the edges.
NOSE: 12/15 - All elements of this wine are apparent on the nose -- berry jam Cab Sauvignon and vegetal Cab Franc are present, but an earthy Merlot nose dominates.
FLAVOR: 8/10 - Strong, bold flavors. Still somewhat tannic, but reasonably in balance with the fruit and other flavors in the wine.
FINISH: 7/10 - Finishes as sour cherry, dark chocolate, and still a bit tannin-dry.
POTENTIAL: 3/5 - Good structure, strong tannin, and strong fruit should result in a wine with some moderate cellarability.
OVERALL: 3/5 - Probably still needs a bit more time for the tannins to tame and mellow on the finish, but there's a nice blend of earthy and jammy flavors in this that make it a food-friendly wine as well as a good drink-alone (or with friends) wine.

Score: 88/100

I really got down with the blending here. I thought that the equal parts of CS, CF, and Merlot were deftly pulled together and created a wonderful drinking wine that showed each grape well.

5 comments:

nop.bot said...

so assuming i had to let the gos h.12 decant for 10 units of time when i first got it from wine.woot, how long would i have to let it decant now? this would be to get it to have the same tannin levels (by taste) as say the monkey prize these days (which i guess you'll know in more detail tomorrow night!)

-dna

nop.bot said...

answered my own question - opened one up last night. i think now the answer is 2.5 units of time.

Erin said...

Decanting is like aging -- it's tough to tell what's going to happen over time, but you know SOMETHING is going to happen.

Not sure I follow the 'units of time' measurement. 10h of decanting will have different end-effect than 100 minutes of decanting.

What I found was that on night #2 the GOS H12 was still more structured than the MP on night #1.

Genevieve said...

thanks for visiting bribe me with a muffin! happy to see more wine-loving red sox fans out there.

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed the Hwy 12 and I have found that my tastes gravitate to the blends in general. MP, Hwy 12, - the Red4 by Vina Robles I just tasted again when I was in Houston and able to find some - I really like that juice. I wish I could describe my tastes but words fail me.